from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small cuplike depression or pit in a bone or organ.
- n. The fovea centralis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A slight depression or pit in a bone or organ.
- n. The retinal fovea, or fovea centralis, responsible for sharp central vision.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A slight depression or pit; a fossa.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy and zoology, a depression or shallow pit in a surface, generally more or less rounded.
- n. In botany, a depression or pit; especially, a depression on the upper surface of the leaf-sheath in Isoetes, in which the sporangium is formed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. area consisting of a small depression in the retina containing cones and where vision is most acute
Latin, small pit.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin fovea ("ditch, pit"). (Wiktionary)