from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Dead branches or wood on a tree.
- n. One that is burdensome or superfluous.
- n. Sports Fallen bowling pins that remain on the alley.
- n. Nautical The vertical planking between the keel of a vessel and the sternpost, serving as a reinforcement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. coarse woody debris
- n. people judged to be superfluous to an organization or project
- n. money not realized by exiting a winning pump trade too early
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mass of timbers built into the bow and stern of a vessel to give solidity.
- n. Dead trees or branches; useless material.
- n. People who are unproductive; -- used especially in reference to employees.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a branch or a part of a tree that is dead
- n. someone or something that is unwanted and unneeded
Sorry, no etymologies found.