from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The property of being skew.
- n. A measure of the asymmetry of the probability distribution of a real-valued random variable; is the third standardized moment, defined as where is the third moment about the mean and is the standard deviation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The character or state of being skew. Specifically: In biometry: The property of exhibiting skew variation. See variation.
- n. The numerical expression of skew variation; asymmetry, measured by the ratio a = D/
σ, where D is the distance (mean, mode) and σis the index of variability.
- n. In mathematics, the degree of disturbance of symmetry in a curve.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an oblique or slanting asymmetry
Sorry, no etymologies found.