from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The forked bone anterior to the breastbone of most birds, formed by the fusion of the clavicles.
- n. Football An offensive formation in which the halfbacks are positioned behind and to the left and right of the fullback.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A forked bone between the neck and breast of a bird consisting chiefly of the two clavicles fused at their median or lower end, regarded as a lucky charm in some countries.
- n. A spar in two parts, between which a sail is hoisted, the wishbone extending its clew.
- n. Any sailing vessel rigged with a wishbone.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The forked bone in front of the breastbone in birds; -- called also merrythought, and wishing bone. See merrythought, and furculum.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The furcula, or merrythought of a fowl. Also wishing-bone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the furcula of a domestic fowl
From the superstition that when two people pull the bone apart a wish will be fulfilled for the person who retains the longer piece.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
wish + bone (Wiktionary)