from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The forked bone anterior to the breastbone of most birds, formed by the fusion of the clavicles.
- n. Football An offensive formation in which the halfbacks are positioned behind and to the left and right of the fullback.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A forked bone between the neck and breast of a bird consisting chiefly of the two clavicles fused at their median or lower end, regarded as a lucky charm in some countries.
- n. A spar in two parts, between which a sail is hoisted, the wishbone extending its clew.
- n. Any sailing vessel rigged with a wishbone.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The forked bone in front of the breastbone in birds; -- called also merrythought, and wishing bone. See merrythought, and furculum.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The furcula, or merrythought of a fowl. Also wishing-bone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the furcula of a domestic fowl
There he developed a formation with three running backs that came to be known as the wishbone because the positioning of the backfield formed a "Y" or wishbone shape.
* Previously: Wishpaper: The memo paper with a built in wishbone.
* Previously: Memo paper with a built in wishbone.
` ` We simply couldn't stop them, '' said Bowden of the Georgia Tech spread option offense he called a wishbone attack.
` ` We executed at a high level, '' said Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson, architect of the scheme that harkens back to an era when offenses such as the wishbone were all the rage.
These simple directions don't require getting beat over the head with a drumstick, nor will you need to break a wishbone in order to achieve the perfect bird.
T. fournieri, also known as the wishbone flower, makes a good model system because its ovaries, or embryo sacs, protrude from the base of the flower, plant biologist Tetsuya Higashiyama of Nagoya University in Japan and his colleagues note in the new study.
"Me fail english, that unpossible" - Ralph Wiggum but the wishbone is a variation of the tee formation.
While both of the two main arms of the "wishbone" carry the traveler over the Sierras, the roads are wonderfully different.
The Lake of the Sky Lake Tahoe in the High Sierras of California and Nevada, its History, Indians, Discovery by Frémont, Legendary Lore, Various Namings, Physical Characteristics, Glacial Phenomena, Geology, Single Outlet, Automobile Routes, Historic Towns, Early Mining Excitements, Steamer Ride, Mineral Springs, Mountain and Lake Resorts, Trail and Camping Out Trips, Summer Residences, Fishing, Hunting, Flowers, Birds, Animals, Trees, and Chaparral, with a Full Account of the Tahoe National Forest, the Public Use of the Water of Lake Tahoe and Much Other Interesting Matter
About this time, the Reds adopted a uniform logo of the now-familiar "wishbone" C, with
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.