from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The portion of the human leg between the hip and the knee.
- n. The corresponding part of the hind leg of a quadruped or other vertebrate animal.
- n. The second segment of a bird's leg, containing the tibia and fibula.
- n. The femur of an insect's leg.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The proximal segment of the hind limb between the knee and the trunk. See femur.
- n. The coxa, or femur, of an insect.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To carve (a pigeon or other small bird).
- n. That part of the leg which is between the hip and the knee in man, and the corresponding part of the hind limb of other animals; the femoral region, determined by the extent of the thigh-bone or femur; the femur.
- n. In ornithology: The flank, or the feathers overlying this region of the body, corresponding to the thigh proper, which is deeply buried in the common integument of the body.
- n. Loosely, the next joint of the leg; the crus; the drumstick: especially said when the feathers of this part are conspicuous in length or in color, as the “flag” of a hawk.
- n. In entomology, the third joint or segment of any one of the six or eight legs of a true insect, or of an arachnidan; the femur, between the trochanter and the tibia or shank.
- n. The lower and larger part of the stalk of a plant; the stock or trunk.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the upper joint of the leg of a fowl
- n. the part of the leg between the hip and the knee
Marylands are what we call the thigh & drumstick still joined together.
We don't mind trying to manufacture shots, but compounding our problems with rough up to your thigh is a different story. ''
Hiked to the top of a Himalayan peak in thigh-deep snow.
He had gangrene in his right thigh from a #2 lead shot.
Last shot of last season was off one knee in thigh deep snow - no supports available.
` ` My thigh is pretty sore so we will see how it responds tomorrow, '' Harris said.
Mind you a change is as good as a rest, it must beat standing in thigh high flood water for hours on end.
He played in that game despite a bruised thigh from a loss to South Florida the week before.
But even the presence of an ACTUAL thigh is encouraging tome.
O'Neal said his thigh is still bothering him, but he can count on his teammates to pick up the slack.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.