from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The joint formed by the articulation of the lower leg bones with the talus. The ankle connects the foot with the leg.
- n. The slender section of the leg immediately above the foot.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The skeletal joint which connects the foot with the leg; the uppermost portion of the foot and lowermost portion of the leg, which contain this skeletal joint.
- v. To walk.
- v. To cyclically angle the foot at the ankle while pedaling, to maximize the amount of work applied to the pedal during each revolution.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The joint which connects the foot with the leg; the tarsus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The joint which connects the foot with the leg.
- n. By extension, the slender part of the leg between the calf and the ankle-joint.
- n. Also spelled ancle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a gliding joint between the distal ends of the tibia and fibula and the proximal end of the talus
Turns out that the term ankle is open for interpretation because
It just happens to be my ankle is a little sore, but that's not going to slow me down.
Cooper, who had 40 goals in 90 league appearances for Dallas, returned to the field for Munich last month after recovering from a long-term ankle injury.
Albert Haynesworth's ankle is healthy and the defensive lineman could return to the field this Sunday at St. Louis.
Defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth, who missed the Houston game with a sprained ankle, is also active today.
If he would learn to keep his mouth shut he wouldn't constantly have his foot in ankle deep.
The ankle is expected to be healed when August practices begin.
Luckily, I am able to afford a rather expensive Blue Cross individual plan, but an ankle injury that I sustained in 1968 complete with four pins in the ankle is considered a “pre-existing condition” and Blue Cross has exempted any sort of treatments for anything related to that old injury.
Looks like my ankle is finally starting to quit hurting, thank the Maker.
| Reply plenty of snow here yet a broken ankle is preventing me from going outside
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.