from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The human body excluding the head and limbs; trunk.
- n. A statue of the human body with the head and limbs omitted or removed.
- n. A truncated or unfinished thing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The part of the (human) body from the neck to the groin, that is, the body excluding the head and limbs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The human body, as distinguished from the head and limbs; in sculpture, the trunk of a statue, mutilated of head and limbs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In sculpture, the trunk of a statue, without, or considered independently of, the head and limbs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the body excluding the head and neck and limbs
Italian, trunk of a statue, from Old Italian, stalk, stem, from Vulgar Latin *tursus, from Latin thyrsus, stalk; see thyrsus.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Italian torso, from Latin thyrsus, from Ancient Greek θύρσος (thúrsos, "Bacchic staff"). (Wiktionary)