from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large collection of writings of a specific kind or on a specific subject.
- n. A collection of writings or recorded remarks used for linguistic analysis.
- n. Economics The capital or principal amount, as of an estate or trust.
- n. Economics The principal of a bond.
- n. Anatomy The main part of a bodily structure or organ.
- n. Anatomy A distinct bodily mass or organ having a specific function.
- n. Music The overall length of a violin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the body
- n. a collection of writings, often on a specific topic, of a specific genre, from a specific demographic, a single author etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A body, living or dead; the corporeal substance of a thing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Literally, a body; matter of any kind. In anatomy: The entire physical body of an animal. See soma. Some part of the body specified by a qualifying term. See phrases below.
- n. A collection, especially a complete one, or an account of such a collection.
- n. The whole content; the material substance.
- n. Same as corpusdentatum .
- n. A somewhat similar mass of gray matter in each olivary body. Also called corpus ciliare.
- n. Principal, as opposed to interest or income: as, these payments should be made out of corpus, and not out of income.
- n. In algebra, a manifold, such that its elements are representable by symbols which can be combined according to the laws of ordinary algebra, every algebraic expression obtained by combining a finite number of symbols by means of a finite chain of rational operations (+, —, ×, /) being capable of interpretation as representing a definite element of the manifold, with the single reservation that division by zero is inadmissible.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. capital as contrasted with the income derived from it
- n. the main part of an organ or other bodily structure
- n. a collection of writings
Middle English, from Latin; see kwrep- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin corpus ("body"). (Wiktionary)