American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A tank, bowl, or other water-filled enclosure in which living fish or other aquatic animals and plants are kept.
- n. A place for the public exhibition of live aquatic animals and plants.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An artificial pond, cistern, or place in a garden or elsewhere for cultivating aquatic plants.
- n. A vessel or series of vessels, constructed chiefly of glass, filled with either fresh or salt water, and supplied with plants, rocks, etc., in which living aquatic animals are kept. Many aquariums on a large scale are maintained in connection with public parks or gardens, or as distinct institutions. Also called
- n. A tank, often made of glass, for keeping live fish or other aquatic animals.
- n. A public place where live fish and other aquatic animals are exhibited.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An artificial pond, or a globe or tank (usually with glass sides), in which living specimens of aquatic animals or plants are kept.
- n. a tank or pool or bowl filled with water for keeping live fish and underwater animals
- From Latin aquarium, neuter of aquarius ("of or pertaining to water"), from aqua (Wiktionary)
- Latin aquārium, source of water, from neuter of aquārius, of water, from aqua, water. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The wide yellow thing against the side of the aquarium is the snail's foot.”
“The card act in the aquarium is another example of his ability to rearrange molecular structure temporarily with his mind and hands.”
“Very much needed and very nicely shot considering the aquarium is a glass palace!”
“An aquarium is just interactive television for cats.”
“So far this is mostly equipment and supplies shipped overseas for fish fanciers and wholesalers, and Qian Hu has invested in aquarium-gear providers in the U.K. and India.”
“As strange as it may seem, gazing at a jellyfish in an aquarium is a lot like looking in the mirror.”
“The aquarium is a bust and only will get you mad at the Mexican attitude toward creatures without souls.”
“On the wall was Technicolor religious art: The Last Supper in aquarium shades, an effeminate Jesus pointing to a coral-colored heart.”
“Photos of the whole trip are here (they’re not brilliant I’m afraid) and the aquarium is well worth a look.”
“I’m skeptical, being used to aquarium systems that have bubbles blowing out of plastic tubes or treasure chests, but it seems to work (and really, it should, given the fact that that’s how things work in the real environment, but an aquarium is by no means natural).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘aquarium’.
We get a lot of spam emails at Wordnik that fit this pattern: "Mr Bob Wilson here and i will like to know if you do have X for sale". The words on this list represent a subset of such requested items.
Favorite designs for shower curtains. Inspired by the list Top 500 SAT Words Shower Curtain by jwjarvis.
Things and situations that draw and inspire humans and/or animals, to interact with one another.
of or relating to water
Scenes that do not lend themselves to having downy snowflakes swirling around.
Taisha GRE Bible
Some words that end in. . .you guessed it.
Looking for tweets for aquarium.