American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A small enclosure or closed container in which selected living plants and sometimes small land animals, such as turtles and lizards, are kept and observed.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A vivarium for land animals; a place where such animals are kept alive for study or observation.
- n. An enclosure where very small animals are displayed, often with some plants, in a naturalistic setting.
- n. A partially enclosed glass container for displaying plants, especially plants that need high humidity.
- n. a vivarium in which selected living plants are kept and observed
- From Latin terra ("earth") + -arium, by analogy with aquarium (Wiktionary)
- New Latin terrārium : Latin terra, earth; see terrene + -arium. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“If you want a wider range of possibilities for plants, an open terrarium is the way to go.”
“This type of terrarium is more durable and easier to maintain.”
“A terrarium is a small environment where plants and sometimes animals live together in their own little environment.”
“Enclosure selection: The most important decision you make when making a terrarium is choosing what type of container to put it in.”
“In a closed environment the terrarium is sealed and it is an ecosystem unto itself that needs very little except occasional watering and moderate sunlight ..”
“An open environment terrarium is more common and is usually one where the top is open.”
“A terrarium is a beautiful composition of plants and flowers that require only minimum care.”
“You hear the word terrarium, and you think of an abandoned aquarium with a lid.”
“I send a terrarium, which is for plants, but it is also like a piece of furniture.”
“The terrarium has been their home since they were found on the sidewalk outside of the consulate after a suicide bomber had made an orphan of them.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘terrarium’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
I've no idea where I got this page full of words, but whatever it is, I want to find it again. May have duplicate words from other lists.
For stuff to simply reside.
Derivatives from Chapter 19 of Part One of English Words from Latin and Greek Elements
Some words that end in. . .you guessed it.
Looking for tweets for terrarium.