from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small enclosure or closed container in which selected living plants and sometimes small land animals, such as turtles and lizards, are kept and observed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An enclosure where very small animals are displayed, often with some plants, in a naturalistic setting.
- n. A partially enclosed glass container for displaying plants, especially plants that need high humidity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A vivarium for land animals; a place where such animals are kept alive for study or observation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a vivarium in which selected living plants are kept and observed
New Latin terrārium : Latin terra, earth; see terrene + -arium.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin terra ("earth") + -arium, by analogy with aquarium (Wiktionary)