from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A place, especially an indoor enclosure, for keeping and raising living animals and plants under natural conditions for observation or research.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A place artificially arranged for keeping or raising living animals.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A place artificially arranged for keeping or raising living animals, as a park, a pond, an aquarium, a warren, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A place where animals of any kind are kept alive in their natural state as far as possible; a vivary; a zoölogical park.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an indoor enclosure for keeping and raising living animals and plants and observing them under natural conditions
Under Hartley T A Kemp's vivarium-like lighting no nuance of the five actors 'brilliantly hyper-real performances is lost.
A glass vivarium atop a low wooden cabinet appeared to be the original source of the infestation.
She and Hodges cleared off the top of a sturdy workbench, then each gripped one end of the vivarium with both hands.
She peered through the glass walls of the vivarium at over a dozen intertwined snakes, boasting all sorts of exotic colors and markings.
Watching his step, he wandered over to inspect the snakes in the vivarium.
Back at the spa, she had let Brookston and her partner load the vivarium into the Denali.
She pulled it from its hiding place, then grabbed onto its tail with her free hand before depositing it back into the vivarium, which had a sliding glass lid.
Grunting in effort, they heaved the vivarium off the gurney.
Ray wondered again if anyone could have deliberately added a coral snake to the vivarium in the Cleopatra Room.
A rectangular glass vivarium held at least a dozen snakes of various sizes and colors.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.