from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An anomalous condition in humans and animals in which both male and female reproductive organs and secondary sexual characteristics are present in the same individual.
- n. The presence of both male and female reproductive organs in a plant or animal, as in an earthworm or a monoecious plant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Having sexual organs of both sexes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The union of the two sexes in the same individual, or the combination of some of their characteristics or organs in one individual.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being a hermaphrodite; union, real or apparent, of the two sexes in the same individual. Also hermaphrodism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. congenital condition in which external genitalia and internal sex organs have both male and female characteristics
- n. showing characteristics of both sexes
Sorry, no etymologies found.
In many species, hermaphroditism is a normal part of the life-cycle.
National Institutes of Health, intersex, once referred to as hermaphroditism, is a group of conditions where there is a discrepancy between the external genitals and the internal genitals (the testes and ovaries).
− 92-95% of heifer calves born to twin to a bull − Female organs develop, but are male-like − Commonly seen with enlarged vulva, and long vulva hairs; but some born with no external clues − Virtually always sterile Genetic Upsets − Most common is "hermaphroditism" −
Debut novelists will make up nearly half of the Orange prize for fiction longlist, which this year tackles strikingly difficult subjects: incest, sadistic cruelty, polygamy, child bereavement, hermaphroditism and mental illness.
Circumventing infertility with intracytoplasmic sperm injection: A case of transmission of a ring Y chromosome and true hermaphroditism.
But a new film, addressing such potentially incendiary topics as Islamic fundamentalism and hermaphroditism, has become an unexpected hit in the country.
The misery of the internet: if until now, the world's greatest minds do not know how to make the creation of content and information profitable, then in Peru, money as a cultural paradigm has become that hermaphroditism of insert advertisement and personal opinion as the only economic viable way on websites, blogs and tweets.
Now I know that the hermaphroditism of pulmonates had been determined long before Lamarck was active in the early 19th century.
Not because they were inherently "deviant" and thus dangerous -- a view that still taints our discussions of hermaphroditism or intersex today.
His findings are clear: frogs, who exhibit the same reproductive hormone vulnerability as humans, experience retarded gonadal development and hermaphroditism when exposed to low levels of atrazine.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.