from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An anomalous condition in humans and animals in which both male and female reproductive organs and secondary sexual characteristics are present in the same individual.
- n. The presence of both male and female reproductive organs in a plant or animal, as in an earthworm or a monoecious plant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Having sexual organs of both sexes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The union of the two sexes in the same individual, or the combination of some of their characteristics or organs in one individual.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being a hermaphrodite; union, real or apparent, of the two sexes in the same individual. Also hermaphrodism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. congenital condition in which external genitalia and internal sex organs have both male and female characteristics
- n. showing characteristics of both sexes
Sorry, no etymologies found.