from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of feeling or pushing on various parts of a patient’s body to determine medical condition such as the normality of organs or the presence or absence of tumors, swelling, muscle tension, etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Act of touching or feeling.
- n. Examination of a patient by touch.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of touching; feeling by the sense of touch.
- n. Specifically, in medicine, manual examination, or a method of exploring various organs by feeling them with the hand or hands.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a method of examination in which the examiner feels the size or shape or firmness or location of something (of body parts when the examiner is a health professional)
From palpate + -tion (Wiktionary)