Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of touching; feeling by the sense of touch.
- n. Specifically, in medicine, manual examination, or a method of exploring various organs by feeling them with the hand or hands.
- n. medicine The act of feeling or pushing on various parts of a patient’s body to determine medical condition such as the normality of organs or the presence or absence of tumors, swelling, muscle tension, etc.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Act of touching or feeling.
- n. (Med.) Examination of a patient by touch.
- n. a method of examination in which the examiner feels the size or shape or firmness or location of something (of body parts when the examiner is a health professional)
- From palpate + -tion (Wiktionary)
“The average size of tumors detected by palpation is about 45 billion cells and about an inch and a quarter in diameter; these tumors have doubled an additional eight or nine times.”
“This equals a median reduction of 52 percent in the length of the spleen below the ribcage, measured by palpation, which is how spleen size is typically measured in clinical practice.”
“The ads promote a quick physical exam, called palpation, in which doctors feel for unusual lumps in the thyroid, a small gland in the front of the neck.”
“In fact, in this report there's also some commentary about the role of breast palpation which is not being encouraged.”
“One of the cardinal features of fibromyalgia is extreme pain upon palpation of at least 11 of 18 so-called tender points across the body.”
“By 90 days, the fetus drops out of range of the ultrasound and manual rectal palpation is used to monitor the foal.”
“The patient must report feeling pain in 11 of 18 tender sites on digital palpation with 4 kg of force which are located bilaterally on the body.”
“Because so much of diagnosis now depends on lab tests and imaging, the physical exam, including the time-honored rituals of auscultation (listening with a stethoscope) and palpation (touching parts of the body), has become less important; but skipping it short-circuits an essential part of the healing encounter, the “laying on of hands.””
“Still nothing to see, but on careful palpation, I noticed the skin there felt just a little raised and irregular.”
“Prostate cancer is screened for by a prostate exam (palpation of the prostate by rectal exam) and a blood test called prostate-specific antigen (PSA).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘palpation’.
List? What list?
This is the list that makes up the world.
Looking for tweets for palpation.