from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an adult male.
- adj. Having or showing masculine spirit, strength, vigor, or power. See Synonyms at male.
- adj. Capable of performing sexually as a male; potent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Being manly; having characteristics associated with being male, such as strength; exhibiting masculine traits to an exaggerated degree such as strength, forcefulness or vigor.
- adj. Pertaining to a grammatical gender used in plurals of some Slavic languages, corresponding to the personal masculine animate nouns.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the nature, properties, or qualities, of an adult man; characteristic of developed manhood; hence, masterful; forceful; specifically, capable of begetting; -- opposed to womanly, feminine, and puerile.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to a man as opposed to a woman; belonging to the male sex; hence, pertaining to procreation: as, the virile power.
- Masculine; not feminine or puerile; hence, masterful; strong; forceful.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characteristic of a man
- adj. characterized by energy and vigor
- adj. (of a male) capable of copulation
Middle English, from Old French viril, from Latin virīlis, from vir, man; see wī-ro- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin virilis. (Wiktionary)