from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Characterized or motivated by machismo: "He was a mindless activist, a war lover, who found macho relish in danger and felt driven to prove manhood by confrontation” ( Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.)
- n. Machismo.
- n. A person characterized by or exhibiting machismo.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. tending to display manly characteristics, such as domineering, fierceness, bravado, etc., in ways that are showily and histrionically tough
- n. A macho person; a person who tends to display manly characteristics, such as domineering, fierceness, and bravado.
- n. The striped mullet of California (Mugil cephalus, / Mexicanus).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The striped mullet of California (Mugil cephalus, syn. Mugil Mexicanus).
- adj. Manly, especially with an assertive and domineering manner toward women.
- n. A form of dark matter in distant outer space unobservable except by its gravitational effect, and believed to be at least part of the “missing matter” which is unobservable as ordinary stars, but helps keep galaxies from flying apart; MACHOS are massive but compact objects such as neutron stars or brown dwarfs, which can be detected (with difficulty) by their effect in bending light from distant light sources, such as other galaxies. This can occur if by rare chance a MACHO passes in front of a more distant visible object, and the light from that object becomes temporarily amplified by the MACHO acting as a gravitational lens. Some MACHOs have been discovered in the halo of dark matter that surrounds our milky way. It is, however, questionable whether the amount of such matter is sufficient to explain the ability of galaxies to stay together in spite of rotation rates that would cause them to fly apart if the only matter present was that observable as visible stars.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fish, Mugil carema, of the mullet family.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a male exhibiting or characterized by machismo
- adj. used of men; markedly masculine in appearance or manner
Spanish, male, from Latin masculus; see masculine.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish macho ("male"), from Latin masculus (Wiktionary)