from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A game played between two teams of five players each, the object being to throw a ball through an elevated basket on the opponent's side of a rectangular court. Players may move the ball by dribbling or passing with the hands.
- n. The inflated, spherical ball used in this game.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sport in which two opposing teams of five players strive to put a ball through a hoop.
- n. The particular kind of ball used in the sport of basketball.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A ball game, usually played indoors in an area called the basketball court, in which two opposing teams of five players each contest with each other to toss a large inflated ball (the basketball) into opposite goals (baskets) resembling baskets, each typically a cylindrical mesh suspended from a circular rim which is held ten feet above the court. A goal scored by passing the basketball through the basket may count from one to three points, depending on the situation in which it was thrown.
- n. The inflatable ball used in the game of basketball.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A game played with a ball resembling a foot-ball, in which the object is to throw the ball into one of two baskets (the goals) placed at opposite ends of the field.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a game played on a court by two opposing teams of 5 players; points are scored by throwing the ball through an elevated horizontal hoop
- n. an inflated ball used in playing basketball
Sorry, no etymologies found.
No interest in basketball is required to enjoy Real.
"That guy in basketball is going to get drafted in the top 10," he said.
` ` The hardest thing in basketball is the transition threes.
"The reason for salary escalation in basketball is exactly the same as it is in football," Baughman says.
` ` Yeah, but every team in basketball is going to get some open shots.
But teams drafting them are likely to need an abundance of patience because the rule of thumb in basketball is that big men take longer to develop.
Arizona basketball is all about family and all of a sudden it wasn't the same.
I suggest a career in basketball and eating lots of dead fish for her memory.
That's why we work on our games every summer — to win basketball games.
The success revitalized interest in basketball at Coastal Carolina, as the Chanticleers played in front of sold-out crowds every night in conference play.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.