American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A Japanese art of self-defense in which sharp blows and kicks are administered to pressure-sensitive points on the body of an opponent.
- n. An Okinawan martial art involving primarily punching and kicking, but additionally, advanced throws, arm bars, grappling and all means of fighting.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a traditional Japanese system of unarmed combat; sharp blows and kicks are given to pressure-sensitive points on the body of the opponent.
- n. a traditional Japanese system of unarmed combat; sharp blows and kicks are given to pressure-sensitive points on the body of the opponent
- Borrowed from Japanese 空手 (karate), from 唐手 (karate), from Okinawan 唐手 (tūdī, "empty hand"). (Wiktionary)
- Japanese : kara, empty + te, hand. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“But I was in what I call my karate state—a heightened level of consciousness typified by perceptual vigilance.”
“He holds a second-degree black belt in karate, a yellow belt in jiu jitsu, and works for the Canadian Federal Public Service.”
“In his 2004 case before the Federal Court, the government made submissions that his interest in karate could infer his involvement in terrorism,”
“James im watching that free movie downloads this was a terrible idea. and karate is japanese, jackie chan is chinese ... should be the kung-fu kid. leaveitbe”
“I know nothing about this and I don't want to just be negative for its sake, but, you know, in movies, frankly, karate is sort of .... boring.”
“First blind person to receive black belt in karate in Australia stars in TV ad”
“Dawson Ko, 24, received his black belt in karate in March 2007, making him the first blind person in Australia to earn a black belt.”
“Media dis&dat: First blind person to receive black belt in karate in Australia stars in TV ad skip to main | skip to sidebar”
“He's in China so that would be Kung Fu or something seeing that karate is Japanese.”
“Fortunately, karate is originally a Chinese art form, so that's the area we're playing around in.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘karate’.
It's an odd-looking pattern in English. Please add words if it makes you happy. :) K-POW! Wow @gulyasrobi!
Martial arts. Hi-ya!
Stuff I've done, organizations I've been part of, unique points of interest regarding my past. Each factor plays a role in who I have become today.
Body Combat is a Les Mills group fitness program, based on a whole bunch of martial arts disciplines, but non-contact.
It's incredibly fun, even for a lazy, shut-in like me. I've been doing i...
Japanese and Japanese-derived words that have gained use in English.
Interesting words from Asian languages (Japanese, Chinese, Sanskrit, etc.).
Palabras interesantes de idiomas asiÃ¡ticos (japonÃ©s, chino, sÃ¡nscrito, etc.).
Looking for tweets for karate.