American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- An island country of the west-central Pacific Ocean near the equator. It includes the former Gilbert Islands, Banaba (Ocean Island), and the Phoenix and Line islands. Settled by Austronesian peoples before the 1st century A.D., the islands, together with the Ellice Islands, became a British protectorate (1892-1916) and subsequently a crown colony under the name the Gilbert and Ellice Island Colony. The Ellice Islands gained independence (1978) as Tuvalu and the remaining islands (1979) as Kiribati. Tarawa is the capital. Population: 108,000.
- n. Country in Oceania. Official name in English: Republic of Kiribati.
- n. The Micronesian language spoken in Kiribati, also known as Gilbertese.
- n. an island republic in the west central Pacific just to the south of the equator
- From Gilbertese Kiribati, a corruption of English Gilbert, a shortening of Gilbert Islands. (Wiktionary)
“No drive-thrus back in Kiribati, where fish and the Pacific mean everything.”
“To find any place in Kiribati, just go to the corner of the equator and international dateline, and ask directions.”
“I did not even know the name Kiribati before she told me this and now I’m trying to scheme a way to visit her.”
“He describes one dish, called Kiribati Sashimi, this way:”
“KURTZ: Bill Weir, the co-anchor of ABC's "Good Morning America Weekend", has been logging a lot of frequent flier miles to places like Zambia and the Pacific Islands called Kiribati, places where network correspondents don't usually turn up.”
“Some of the world's poorest, most vulnerable and least able to adapt are being worst affected, with small island states such as Kiribati and the Maldives and low-lying developing countries like Bangladesh already on the 'frontlines'.”
“Current projections of sea-level rise coupled with a likely increase in the frequency and severity of storms may make many small island states, such as Kiribati and Tuvalu, uninhabitable .”
“It is a different story in other societies I have visited, such as Kiribati in the Pacific ocean, where sexuality among ageing people is not just respected, but an open subject for discussion.”
“Between 1964 and 2001, food imports to the least developed Pacific nations, such as Kiribati, which comprises 33 islands clustered around the equator, increased six-fold, according to the Food and Agriculture Organisation, a United Nations agency established to fight world hunger.”
“For island nations such as Kiribati, the Pacific Ocean, their enemy, is also their friend.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Kiribati’.
This is not a scientific list based on unified criteria, the sole aim was to collect as many language names as possible.
The list contains the names of the following artificial langua...
vesper bat, vampire bat, fruit bat, baseball bat, Roy Batty, Townsend's big-ea..., Kitti's Hog-nosed..., giant golden-crow..., pipistrelle bat, Birdlike Noctule, stellaluna, Allen's Big-eared... and 174 more...
Looking for tweets for Kiribati.