from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A game similar in scoring to volleyball that is played by two or more players who hit a ball against a wall with their hands usually while wearing a special glove.
- n. The small rubber ball used in this game.
- n. Team handball.
- n. A violation of the rules in soccer in which a player other than the goalie inside the penalty area carries, strikes, or propels the ball with the hand or arm.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A team sport where two teams of seven players each (six players and a goalkeeper) pass and bounce a ball trying to throw it in the goal of the opposing team.
- n. The small rubber ball used in the sport of handball.
- n. The offence of touching the ball with the hands.
- n. An American sport in which players must, in turn, bounce a ball off of a wall, taking care not to miss their turn.
- n. The small rubber ball used in this sport.
- n. An act of passing a football by holding it with one hand and hitting it with the other.
- n. An Irish sport, very similar to the American sport, in which players must bounce a ball off a wall.
- v. To manually load or unload a container, trailer, or to otherwise manually move bulk goods (often on pallets) from one type of transport receptacleto another.
- v. To illegally touch the ball with the hand or arm.
- v. To (legally) pass a football by holding it with one hand and hitting it with the other.
- v. To insert a hand into someone's anus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small ball, usually made of rubber, thrown or struck with the hand in various games.
- n. A game played with such a ball, as by players striking it to and fro between them with the hands, or, when played in a walled court or against a single wall, striking it in turns against a wall, until one side or the other fails to return the ball.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The sport of throwing and catching a ball: the common game of ball before the use of bats.
- n. A game in which a small ball is batted or struck by one of two players with his hand against a wall, and, on rebounding, is struck in like manner by the other. This continues until one player fails to strike and return the ball on the fly or first bound.
- n. A bulb or hollow punctured ball of india-rubber designed to be compressed by the hand.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a game played in a walled court or against a single wall by two or four players who strike a rubber ball with their hands
- n. a small rubber ball used in playing the game of handball
Sorry, no etymologies found.