American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A game similar in scoring to volleyball that is played by two or more players who hit a ball against a wall with their hands usually while wearing a special glove.
- n. The small rubber ball used in this game.
- n. Team handball.
- n. A violation of the rules in soccer in which a player other than the goalie inside the penalty area carries, strikes, or propels the ball with the hand or arm.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The sport of throwing and catching a ball: the common game of ball before the use of bats.
- n. A game in which a small ball is batted or struck by one of two players with his hand against a wall, and, on rebounding, is struck in like manner by the other. This continues until one player fails to strike and return the ball on the fly or first bound.
- n. A bulb or hollow punctured ball of india-rubber designed to be compressed by the hand.
- n. uncountable A team sport where two teams of seven players each (six players and a goalkeeper) pass and bounce a ball trying to throw it in the goal of the opposing team.
- n. countable The small rubber ball used in the sport of handball.
- n. countable, soccer The offence of touching the ball with the hands.
- n. uncountable, US An American sport in which players must, in turn, bounce a ball off of a wall, taking care not to miss their turn.
- n. countable, US The small rubber ball used in this sport.
- n. countable, Australian Rules Football An act of passing a football by holding it with one hand and hitting it with the other.
- n. Ireland, uncountable An Irish sport, very similar to the American sport, in which players must bounce a ball off a wall.
- v. To manually load or unload a container, trailer, or to otherwise manually move bulk goods (often on pallets) from one type of transport receptacleto another.
- v. soccer To illegally touch the ball with the hand or arm.
- v. Australian Rules Football To (legally) pass a football by holding it with one hand and hitting it with the other.
- v. sexuality, slang To insert a hand into someone's anus.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A small ball, usually made of rubber, thrown or struck with the hand in various games.
- n. A game played with such a ball, as by players striking it to and fro between them with the hands, or, when played in a walled court or against a single wall, striking it in turns against a wall, until one side or the other fails to return the ball.
- n. a game played in a walled court or against a single wall by two or four players who strike a rubber ball with their hands
- n. a small rubber ball used in playing the game of handball
“Iceland eyes gold medal in handball - USATODAY. com”
“The Danes have won medals in handball, badminton, rowing, and sailing.”
“He bundled a finish over the line after Petr Cech half-cleared from Nani, although there was a suggestion of handball from the Italian.”
“Henry's handball is French 'sports story of the year”
“I play a sport called handball and my inspiration comes from watching my dad and my mom play for many, many, many years and my dad winning a trophy in doubles.”
“It's also unrelated to handball, which is totally different, and is played with something usually referred to as a "dodgeball", named after the sport for which it was created.”
“Earlier in the week, the court sentenced 32 people who took part in demonstrations - including at least two members of the Bahrain national handball team - to 15 years in prison for protesting illegally.”
“In November of 2009 against Ireland, an uncalled handball by Thierry Henry set up the goal that qualified France for the 2010 Cup, an Irish "spring" to the World Cup, if you will.”
“Kaiser: @Tcompton The penalty given to LA on the handball was a crap call, however, the DC penalty was also crap ...”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘handball’.
List of words and phrases referring to the hand, hands, fist, or derivatives of the Latin manus, beginning with left-handed.
A list of games and sports played with a ball, including names of the courts, fields and pitches in which they are played.
I'll start the list with Basque pelota, which is played in Id...
All things to do with the modern Summer Olympics
These sports only matter when your country's medal count is at stake
Looking for tweets for handball.