from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An ancient military engine for launching stones and arrows by means of a spring.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An active, springy young man.
- n. An ancient military engine for casting stones and arrows by means of a spring.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A military engine, resembling the ballista, used in Europe in the middle ages.
- n. A young person; a youth; especially, a young man.
Old French espringale; of Teutonic origin, akin to English spring. (Wiktionary)