American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Free from infirmity or illness; sound. See Synonyms at healthy.
- v. To compel to go: "In short order the human rights campaign was haled before a high court of indignation” ( Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.)
- v. Archaic To pull, draw, drag, or hoist.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To drag; draw; pull; move by dragging.
- To vex; trouble; worry; “pull and haul.”
- To get by solicitation or importunity.
- To go or come by means of drawing, pushing, or pressing; push or press on; move on; proceed.
- n. A violent pull; a haul; the act of dragging forcibly.
- n. A rake with long teeth for raking pebbles from brooks.
- n. An instrument for hanging a pot over a fire.
- Sound; entire; healthy; robust; not impaired in health: as, hale of body.
- Whole; entire; unbroken; without a break or other impairment.
- n. Safety; welfare: same as heal.
- To pour out.
- n. A tent; a pavilion; a temporary shelter.
- n. A pseudo-archaic form of hole.
- v. To drag, pull, especially forcibly.
- adj. Sound, entire, healthy; robust, not impaired.
- n. archaic Health, welfare.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Sound; entire; healthy; robust; not impaired.
- n. obsolete Welfare.
- v. To pull; to drag; to haul.
- adj. exhibiting or restored to vigorous good health
- v. draw slowly or heavily
- n. United States astronomer who discovered that sunspots are associated with strong magnetic fields (1868-1938)
- n. a soldier of the American Revolution who was hanged as a spy by the British; his last words were supposed to have been `I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country' (1755-1776)
- n. prolific United States writer (1822-1909)
- v. to cause to do through pressure or necessity, by physical, moral or intellectual means :
- From Old English hǣlu, hǣl, from a noun-derivative of Proto-Germanic *hailaz (“whole, healthy”). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old English hāl; see kailo- in Indo-European roots.Middle English halen, to pull, drag, from Old French haler, of Germanic origin; see kelə-2 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The English word "health" comes from the Old English word hale, meaning "wholeness, a being whole, sound or well,".”
“Deer Guns: Rifles and Shotguns for Deer Hunting biggest bucks of 2008 boone and crockett handgun whitetail hunting bucks with handguns record buck verlin hale”
“Anyway, the Valentinos are a young Aussie band whom you'll likely be hearing more from in the next six months or so ... they're a five piece from Sydney, who hale from the scene of next-wave bands (Van She, Presets, Bang Gang, Midnight Juggernauts, &c.) that are getting a lot of attention here in the US and in Europe.”
“Well, pigs do fly, and there is ice water in hale.”
“Ia Laielohelohe ma i hiki aku ai ma ka hale a Kekalukaluokewa e noho ana, aia hoi e hiamoe mai ana laua ma kahi hookahi, ua hoouhiia i ka aahu hookahi, e moe ana nae i ka ona a ka awa.”
“Ia hiki ana mai o Mokukelekahiki ma ma ka hale e moe nei ka moo.”
“A pau ka lakou olelo ana me ke Alii no keia mau mea, hoihoiia aku la lakou a ma ka hale i hoomakaukauia no lakou.”
“Ia ia nae i hiki aku ai a ka hale, wehe ae la ke kahu o ke Alii i ka puka o ka Halealii, ia manawa, ua hoopuiwa kokeia ko Kahalaomapuana lunamanao, no ka ike ana aku ia Laieikawai e kau mai ana iluna o ka eheu”
“Ia Laieikawai me kona kahu ma ka hale, mahope iho o ke kauoha ana a kona kupunawahine.”
“Mahope iho o kona hookaawale ana ia Aiwohikupua, hele aku oia a noho ma ka hale kamaaina.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hale’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
my words. my mind. my gosh.
try not to enjoy it too much.
Words I had to look up, or I liked, from Robert Louis Stevenson's travelogue 'Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes'.
Words that have been used as baby names, including virtue names, nature names, place names, etc.
The title is an actual name given to a Puritan boy in the 17th century.
By David Foster Wallace
Looking for tweets for hale.