from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Gaelic-speaking Celt of Scotland, Ireland, or the Isle of Man.
- n. A Scottish Highlander.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of an ethnic group in Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man, whose language is one that is Gaelic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A Celt or the Celts of the Scotch Highlands or of Ireland; now esp., a Scotch Highlander of Celtic origin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Scottish Highlander or Celt.
- n. An abbreviation of Gaelic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Gaelic-speaking Celt in Ireland or Scotland or the Isle of Man
Scottish Gaelic Gaidheal and Irish Gaelic Gael, both from Old Irish Goídil; see Goidelic.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Scottish Gaelic Gàidheal and Irish Gaedheal, from Old Irish Goídel ("Irishman"), from Welsh gwyddel ("raider"), Proto-Celtic *weidelo- "savage, woodsman". This replaced older féni ("any free man") and fénechas ("oral tradition of native custom"). (Wiktionary)