American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To reason earnestly with someone in an effort to dissuade or correct; remonstrate. See Synonyms at object.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To reason earnestly with a person against something that he intends to do or has done: followed by with before the person, by upon or on before the thing.
- Synonyms Expostulate with, Reprove, Rebuke, Reprimand, etc. See censure, and list under remonstrate.
- To discuss; examine into; reason about.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To reason earnestly with a person on some impropriety of his conduct, representing the wrong he has done or intends, and urging him to make redress or to desist; to remonstrate; -- followed by
- v. obsolete To discuss; to examine.
- v. reason with (somebody) for the purpose of dissuasion
- First attested circa 16th century, from Latin expostulatus, past participle of expostulo, "demand or claim," from ex- + postulo, "demand". (Wiktionary)
- Latin expostulāre, expostulāt- : ex-, intensive pref.; see ex- + postulāre, to demand; see prek- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Only if he had that kind of expostulate during football games.”
“The generous nature of Safie was outraged by this command; she attempted to expostulate with her father, but he left her angrily, reiterating his tyrannical mandate.”
“It was in vain to expostulate with the palefaced Spectre who directed our course, I found myself surrounded by a hubbub of voices, and trunks of old clothes, (you know I am always busy in that way in my sleep) and the roar of the Sea-beach, mingled with loud discharges of immense Artillery place'd on Cliffs over our heads.”
“Novas expostulate would begin during the 23, as great as the offense would pierce the round eight yards in 3 plays, afterwards punt.”
“Receiving the round initial in the third quarter, the Rams would put together the 10-play, 61-yard expostulate immoderate 5 mins as great as finishing it off with the 6-yard TD pass from Stefkovich to So, TE, Joe Migliarese (Blue Bell, Pa.) to tighten the measure to twenty-nine twenty-eight TU.”
“With Nova starting upon the own 23, Whi! tney wou ld lead Nova upon an eight-play 20-yard expostulate which would consume the small some-more than 4 minutes.”
“The expostulate would case with 4th & fourteen from the VU 43, as great as Nova would punt the round behind to UNH.”
“Do we know anyone with a automobile who could expostulate me down there? we mean, it's not which far of a drive ....”
“I wish to be social, especially upon this beautiful sleet white day in Houston, so we hope Geek Gathering is still starting upon as good as my husband wants to expostulate the family.”
“RB, Tremayne Dameron (King George, Va.) would top off the expostulate with the 5-yard TD run pushing the Tiger lead to 13 0 with some-more than 11 mins superfluous in the 1st quarter.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘expostulate’.
Please contribute your favorite words from any of Gene Wolfe’s books to this prize-winning list.
In case you come across words in this list which are too commonplace to fit in, please ...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Discombobulate-enkindled 'ulate' words.
Words which - with a modicum of tolerance in pronunciation - sound like ways of cooking eggs.
Out of this world via the "X-express".
This is a mix of new words I've read studying for the GRE verbal and words I use normally. I also check back on these words if I don't use them often enough.
Looking for tweets for expostulate.