from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To urge on; goad.
- transitive v. To stir up; foment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To goad or urge forward; to set on; to provoke; to incite.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To goad or urge forward; to set on; to provoke; to incite; -- used chiefly with reference to evil actions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To stimulate to an action or course; incite to do something; set or goad on; urge: generally in a bad sense: as, to instigate one to commit a crime.
- To stir up; foment; bring about by incitement or persuasion: as, to instigate crime or insurrection; to instigate a quarrel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. serve as the inciting cause of
- v. provoke or stir up
Did all those taped messages and cell calls instigate a double homicide?
One cafe owner, who asked not to be quoted by name, was called to the local police station in the Gulou, or Drum Tower, area and warned that "overseas reactionary forces" might try to "instigate" some actions on Friday night.
Areas like Atlanta down through Tampa and parts of Florida will see some heavy rainfall today and that kind of instigate some delays there.
He had a funny sort of job it seemed to us, going around the several counties there and what appeared to be trying to "instigate" something with any group or anyone, my husband included.
Scratch the word "instigate" as is true, may not be the appropriate word.
Even if UMNO says it is willing to change, there are still a handful of recalcitrant leaders who are more than ready to "instigate" the other races.
A neutral flagged EML Gateway with RLLs that allowed every spacefaring nation access to the lunar surface could help instigate a genuine "Moon-rush" of competition, driven by national prestige, even if tangible economic return is delayed for decades.
Listening to him instigate a battle between the sexes made the traffic seem not so bad.
"If you decide to instigate riots, you can be denied bail for 180 days," said Daudi Migereko, the chief whip for the ruling party in parliament, referring to the bill now being discussed.
Pfizer Corp. helped instigate the redevelopment plan in the hope that the new facilities would benefit its planned new headquarters.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.