from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person on probation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. one who is on probation
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who is undergoing probation; one who is on trial; a novice.
- n. A student in divinity, who, having received certificates of good morals and qualifications from his university, is admitted to several trials by a presbytery, and, on acquitting himself well, is licensed to preach.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is on probation or trial; one who is placed so that he may give proof of certain qualifications for a place or state.
- n. Specifically — A novice.
- n. In the Presbyterian churches in Scotland, one who has been licensed to preach, but who has not been ordained or does not hold a pastoral charge.
- n. In the Meth, Epis. Ch., a candidate for membership received for a specified period on trial before final admission.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone released on probation or on parole
- n. a nurse in training who is undergoing a trial period
Sorry, no etymologies found.