American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Protection: a child whose welfare is now under the aegis of the courts.
- n. Sponsorship; patronage: a concert held under the aegis of the parents' association.
- n. Guidance, direction, or control: a music program developed under the aegis of the conductor.
- n. Greek Mythology The goatskin shield or breastplate of Zeus or Athena. Athena's shield carried at its center the head of Medusa.
- n. A mythological shield associated with Zeus and Athena shown as a short cloak consisting of a goatskin. The aegis of Athena is usually shown with a border of snakes and with the head of Medusa in the center. The aegis is more an emblem of protection and power than an actual military shield.
- n. Protection, guidance. Usually used as ‘under the aegis’ because of its origin as protection of the shield of Athena.
- n. Endorsement.
- n. Sponsorship.
- From Latin aegis, from Ancient Greek αἰγίς (aigis, "goatskin”, “shield of Athena"), from αἴξ (aix, "goat"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin, from Greek aigis, goatskin, skin shield, aegis, from aix, aig-, goat. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“(Athena's shield or "aegis" is decorated with the head of Medusa, the perfect image to paralyze the enemy.)”
“The extraordinary successes Israelis have demonstrated through a nearly peerless intellectual aegis is something all of us must learn from, particularly within the surrounding region.”
“BoB says: looking at patriot act, Google “lil Red Book” get harassed due to their College work? while aei boobs from bohemia run the state dept freely? and that atta was known of well before 9/11? that many have died. that millions have been lied for what, political ideology? while ignoring other issues for your greed neo-kooks what have you done? that 8 billion was “lost in IRAQ” that aegis is shooting at civilians? that more billions have been lost? that Halliburton has engorged itself? mercenaries?”
“The dreams in my aegis are the dreams of fulfillment in a very absolute sense of the word.”
“He has adopted the method of having medical inspection of mental conditions and deficiencies under his aegis, which is a very wise provision, and will save endless trouble.”
“Had I properly spelled "bona fide" the instant after dropping "aegis", the gods in their multitude would have probably hit me with several bolts of lightning.”
“As the historian Nancy Cott puts it, “Post-Revolutionary legislators wanted to reassert their authority over what some people had done under the aegis of local tolerance.””
“In 2007, he announced a bid for the U.S. presidency under the aegis of the Owl Party, which got its name, he told reporters, from being situated midway between the hawks and the doves.”
“Concerned more with mechanics of electoral choices offered from a narrow menu of options, with most of its drama concocted by the media, democracy under the aegis of the markets has become, as both political theorists and those protesting on the streets have attested, ever more distant from notions such as social justice and equality, with less participation, not more.”
“Under the aegis of globalization, the two are closely linked economically, which makes it impossible for the US to fully contain China.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘aegis’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Not just rare words, but thousands of RARE WORDS WITH DEFINITIONS.
If you want to see the definitions, too, go to
new words or spelling issues
Key words of the Odyssey by Homer in English including all those famous repeating epitethons like
starting from i dont know the 4th or 5th chapter called 'year of the depend adult undergarment'
A list of words unfamiliar to me that I have repeatedly encountered in GRE question sets.
I enjoy collecting words, for I have no fear of them ever running out.
Looking for tweets for aegis.