American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A protective railing, as on a staircase or along a highway.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. On a railway-track, an additional rail placed beside the rail in service, either with the object of receiving the wheel in case it should leave the track or of preventing the wheel from leaving the track.
- n. Nautical, a fore-and-aft timber bolted on the outside of the covering-board or plank-sheer on steam-vessels navigating harbors, lakes, and rivers, to act as a fender when lying alongside of other vessels, or when made fast to a dock. Sometimes a second guardrail is carried along the sides just above the water, and is then called a bilge guard-rail.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Railroads) a rail placed on the inside of a main rail, on bridges, at switches, etc., as a safeguard against derailment.
- n. a railing placed alongside a stairway or road for safety.
- n. a railing placed alongside a stairway or road for safety
“Sarnia Mayor Mike Bradley said he is open to discussing the matter, but "it's hard to say" if a guardrail is a good idea.”
“I can sometimes run off on tangents if I don't have a "guardrail" in place.”
“He jumped to his feet and leapt over the guardrail, flailing momentarily in midair before landing hard on the deck.”
“He stopped and took out another section of guardrail.”
“He dragged the section of guardrail out of the way, eyes sharp.”
“Eventually, I spotted them on damp soil inside the cavities around the bases of the guardrail posts.”
“Empty shells turned out to be quite abundant among the grass along the metal guardrail separating us from the highway.”
“They were sitting in front of the fire house drinking beer when the tractor trailer jackknifed through the guardrail.”
“I nearly put him into the guardrail for his trouble.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘guardrail’.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
Looking for tweets for guardrail.