from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The metallic mass that sinks to the bottom of a furnace or crucible during smelting.
- n. A relatively impure intermediate product of various ores in smelting.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an impure metal formed beneath slag during the smelting of ores.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A petty king; a ruler of little power or consequence.
- n. The button, globule, or mass of metal, in a more or less impure state, which forms in the bottom of the crucible in smelting and reduction of ores.
- n. A star of the first magnitude in the constellation Leo; -- called also the Lion's Heart.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In ornithology: An old name of the goldcrest or crested wren of Europe; a kinglet.
- n. The typical genus of Regulinæ; the kinglets.
- n. In alchemy and early chemistry, the reduced or metallic mass obtained in the treatment of various ores, particularly those of the semi-metals (see metal); especially, metallic antimony (regulus antimonii): but various alloys of antimony, other brittle metals, and even the more perfect metals were also occasionally so called, to indicate that they were in the metallic condition.
- n. A very white star, of magnitude 1.4, on the heart of the Lion; a Leonis.
- n. In geometry, a ruled surface or singly infinite system of straight lines, where consecutive lines do not intersect.
- n. In metallurgy: The metallic mass which sinks to the bottom of a furnace or crucible, separating itself from the slag by gravity.
- n. An intermediate product obtained in smelting ores, especially those of copper, lead, silver, and nickel, and consisting chiefly of metallic sulphids.
- n. One set of generators of a quadric surface; the system of straights that meet three non-incident straights.
- n. A configuration of lines which satisfy three conditions, and therefore depend on only one parameter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a genus of birds of the family Sylviidae including kinglets
- n. the brightest star in Leo
Latin rēgulus, diminutive of rēx, rēg-, king; see reg- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin regulus. (Wiktionary)