from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An ATP-generating metabolic process that occurs in nearly all living cells in which glucose is converted in a series of steps to pyruvic acid.
- n. The metabolic breakdown of glucose and other sugars that releases energy in the form of ATP.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The cellular degradation of the simple sugar glucose to yield pyruvic acid, and ATP as an energy source.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The destruction of sugar in the animal body.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a metabolic process that breaks down carbohydrates and sugars through a series of reactions to either pyruvic acid or lactic acid and releases energy for the body in the form of ATP
glyco- + -lysis (Wiktionary)