from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Selfish or excessive regard for one's personal advantage or interest.
- n. Personal advantage or interest.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One's personal interest or advantage, especially when pursued without regard for others.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Private interest; the interest or advantage of one's self.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Private interest; the interest or advantage of one's self, without regard to altruistic gratification.
- n. Selfishness; pursuit of egotistical interests exclusively, without regard to conscience.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. taking advantage of opportunities without regard for the consequences for others
- n. concern for your own interests and welfare
self- + interest (Wiktionary)