American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act or process of introverting or the condition of being introverted.
- n. Psychology The direction of or tendency to direct one's thoughts and feelings toward oneself.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of introverting, or the state of being introverted; a turning or directing inward, physical or mental.
- n. psychology The act or process of introverting or the quality of being introverted; the quality of focusing on one's own interests, thoughts, and feelings
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of introverting, or the state of being introverted; the act of turning the mind inward.
- n. the folding in of an outer layer so as to form a pocket in the surface
- n. (psychology) an introverted disposition; concern with one's own thoughts and feelings
- n. the condition of being folded inward or sheathed
“This March 2003 essay on introversion is one of the few where I felt like my daily experience was given life.”
“Now, the tendency towards introversion is also true of commercial development.”
“Much of what happens in an office can be explained when we look at the personality types of ourselves and our co-workers, and especially the notion of introversion vs extroversion.”
“Sexual self-denial, instead of leading to sublimation, may lead to nervous disorder when the erotic tension, failing to find a natural outlet and not sublimated to higher erotic or non-erotic ends in the real world, is transmuted into an unreal dreamland, thus undergoing what Jung terms introversion; while there are also the people already referred to, in whom immature childish sexuality persists into an adult stage of development it is no longer altogether in accord with, so that conflict, with various possible trains of nervous symptoms, may result.”
“The fifth stage is what Underhill and others call "introversion," which includes entering the silence in prayer and contemplation.”
“In 1910 Jung published a paper entitled, "Psychic Conflicts in a Child," in which he introduced the term "introversion" for the first time.”
“Even a broad category such as introversion is like Silly Putty once life gets hold of it: a "genetically shy" child whose parents gently encourage her to get herself into the sandbox and mix it up with other kids is more likely to outgrow her shyness by age 12 than a shy child whose parents take her trait as a given.”
“By the way, let's look at the word "introversion" ...”
“Trait loneliness (also known as chronic loneliness) appears to be related to a set of personality factors (or traits), such as introversion, shyness, and low self-esteem according to the researcher.”
“Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, lawyers are likely to have the following personality types: "introversion" (need for time alone to think and recharge), "intuition”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘introversion’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
into or inwards
basic dimensions of human behaviour. mostly determined biologically via differences in dominant neuro-pathways.
goto traits (good)
goto traits (bad)
( randomness, d...
Looking for tweets for introversion.