from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of invaginating or the condition of being invaginated.
- n. An invaginated organ or part.
- n. Embryology The infolding of a portion of the outer layer of a blastula in the formation of a gastrula.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The process where an anatomical part invaginates upon itself or into another structure.
- n. One of the methods by which the various germinal layers of the ovum are differentiated.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The condition of an invaginated organ or part.
- n. The inward movement of the wall of a tissue or cell, to form a cavity; also, the cavity thus formed.
- n. The inward movement of one part of the wall of a blastula, to form a gastrula; the process of gastrulation, in which layers of the ovum are differentiated.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of introverting or sheathing, or the state of being sheathed; insertion or reception as into a sheath; intussusception.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the folding in of an outer layer so as to form a pocket in the surface
- n. the condition of being folded inward or sheathed
Sorry, no etymologies found.