from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Left to choice; not compulsory or automatic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not compulsory; left to personal choice; elective.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Involving an option; depending on the exercise of an option; left to one's discretion or choice; allowed but not compulsory
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Left to one's option or choice; depending on choice or preference.
- Leaving something to choice; involving a power of choice or option.
- n. In the colleges of the United States, an elective study, or one left to choice; an elective.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. possible but not necessary; left to personal choice
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The word optional was neither uttered nor implied.
Its most recent issue, however, features what it calls "optional inflation hedges" - for investors who want additional protection beyond that offered by its actively managed "Upgraded" portfolios.
While i agree that the idea of making senior year optional is a terrible one … it is not as offensive as one of the other mentioned ideas
A more general answer is that I'd prefer licensure be optional from the buyer's perspective.
Usernames being optional is fine, but like Twitter, Facebook should err on the side of caution and keep it simple.
But, making the public plan optional is not only better political strategy, it is better public policy in our federal system.
Mr. QUIGLEY: When we take a step back and look at the words that Monteverdi himself wrote in the print, we see that the word optional is used a whole heck of a lot.
If you like, you can now roll the pops quickly in optional decorations.
Though updating to Google Accounts will remain optional from October 19, 2005 until January 15, 2006, we advise you to complete the process and begin using your new Google Accounts login as soon as possible.
The remaining 3 are "optional" - if our grade helps it'll count, if not, no sweat.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.