from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having the same or a similar meaning: synonymous words.
- adj. Equivalent in connotation: "a widespread impression that . . . Hollywood was synonymous with immorality” ( Doris Kearns Goodwin).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. having a similar meaning
- adj. of, or being a synonym
- adj. Such that both its forms yield the same sequenced protein.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the character of a synonym; expressing the same thing; conveying the same, or approximately the same, idea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the character of a synonym; expressing the same idea; equivalent in meaning.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of words) meaning the same or nearly the same
From Medieval Latin synōnymus, from Greek sunōnumos : sun-, syn- + onoma, onuma, name.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)