from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Liable to being called to account; answerable. See Synonyms at responsible.
- adj. That can be explained: an accountable phenomenon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having accountability (individuals have accountability); answerable.
- adj. Requiring accountability (property or funds require accountability).
- adj. Liable to be called on to render an account;
- adj. Being answerable for.
- adj. Being liable for.
- adj. Capable of being accounted for; explicable; explainable.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Liable to be called on to render an account; answerable.
- adj. Capable of being accounted for; explicable.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Liable to be called to account; responsible, as for a trust or obligation; answerable, as for conduct: as, every man is accountable to God for his conduct; a sheriff is accountable as bailiff and receiver of goods.
- Of which an account can be given; that can be accounted for: in this use opposed to unaccountable.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. liable to account for one's actions
Sorry, no etymologies found.