from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Represented as existing or as being as described but not so proved; supposed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of allege.
- adj. asserted but not proved
- adj. supposed but doubtful
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- That is or has been stated to be (what is specified in the following word or clause); merely stated or asserted: much used when one wishes to disclaim responsibility for the statement, or to intimate his disbelief in it: as, an alleged fact; an alleged interview; an alleged illness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. doubtful or suspect
- adj. declared but not proved
Sorry, no etymologies found.