American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Worthy of being accepted.
- adj. Adequate to satisfy a need, requirement, or standard; satisfactory.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Capable, worthy, or sure of being accepted or received with pleasure; hence, pleasing to the receiver; gratifying; agreeable; welcome: as, an acceptable present.
- adj. Capable, worthy, or sure of being accepted or received with pleasure; pleasing to a receiver; gratifying; agreeable; welcome; as, an acceptable present, one acceptable to us.
- adj. Barely worthy, less than excellent; passable.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Capable, worthy, or sure of being accepted or received with pleasure; pleasing to a receiver; gratifying; agreeable; welcome.
- adj. adequate for the purpose
- adj. judged to be in conformity with approved usage
- adj. meeting requirements
- adj. worthy of acceptance or satisfactory
“My use of the term acceptable refered to what was acceptable to the boy.”
“And these cars did well in the front and side tests and had what they call acceptable rear impact ratings.”
“Why it was called "Dawn" I am not now quite clear, but I think it was because I could find no other title acceptable to the publishers.”
“As Jonathan Stagge, the boys just didn't seem to be able to come up with a title acceptable to their British publishers.”
“So my question is: Was this term acceptable in 1989 or can its use be chalked up to the fact that Dick Maibaum was 79 years old when he wrote the script?”
“You are indeed acting like your forefathers in NOT recognizing that what USED to work and be acceptable is no longer.”
“There's no guarantee that people will like five percent of what you do, but the only way you can get to a point where that's acceptable is if you're one hundred percent proud of it.”
“Still, he appeared to be in acceptable condition during Senior Bowl practices.”
“How did this kind of fussy childish eating got to be socially acceptable is beyond me ...”
“And given the fragmentation of news on the Internet and on cable television, Americans increasingly choose to listen only to their own side of the argument, to bloggers and commentators who reinforce their convictions and paint the world only in acceptable, comfortable colors.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘acceptable’.
admissible, absolute grounds ..., abstract, acquisition of th..., action for revoca..., admissibility of ..., acceptable, allowable, appeal to a court, appellant, applicant, application and 338 more...
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Oxford 3000 is a list of the most common 3000 words in the English language publishe by OUP.
The keywords of the Oxford 3000 have been carefully selected by a group of language experts and ex...
Looking for tweets for acceptable.