from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of monks or monasticism.
- adj. Inclined to self-denial; ascetic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to, or resembling a monk or monasticism.
- adj. Tending to self-denial; ascetic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Like a monk, or pertaining to monks; monastic
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Like a monk; pertaining to monks or to the monastic system; monastic: often a term of contempt: as, monkish manners; monkish solitude.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. befitting a monk; inclined to self-denial
Sorry, no etymologies found.