from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or composed in poetic meter: metrical verse; five metrical units in a line.
- adj. Of or relating to measurement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. relating to poetic meter
- adj. having a regular rhythm
- adj. of or pertaining to measurement
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the meter; arranged in meter; consisting of verses.
- adj. Of or pertaining to measurement; , are metrical terms; esp., of or pertaining to the metric system.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to measurement, or the use of weights and measures; employed in or determined by measuring: as, a metrical unit, of length or quantity; the metrical systems of the ancients.
- Pertaining to or characterized by poetical measure or rhythm; written in verse; metric: as, metrical terms; the metrical psalms.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. based on the meter as a standard of measurement
- adj. the rhythmic arrangement of syllables
Middle English, from Latin metricus, from Greek metrikos, from metron, measure, poetic meter; see mē-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)