from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Given or dedicated in fulfillment of a vow or pledge: a votive offering.
- adj. Expressing or symbolizing a wish, desire, or vow: a votive prayer; votive candles.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. dedicated or given in fulfillment of a vow or pledge
- adj. this sense?) of, expressing or symbolizing a vow; and by extension a thick cylindrical candle
- n. a hymn or chant dedicated to a particular saint, or to the Virgin Mary
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Given by vow, or in fulfillment of a vow; consecrated by a vow; devoted
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Offered, contributed, or consecrated in accordance with a vow: as, a votive picture.
- Observed, practised, or done in consequence of a vow.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. dedicated in fulfillment of a vow
Latin vōtīvus, from vōtum, vow; see vote.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin vōtīvus ("votive"), from vōtum ("vow"). (Wiktionary)