from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The doctrine that observance of the sacraments is necessary for salvation and that such participation can confer grace.
- n. Emphasis on the efficacy of a sacramental.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The belief that observance of the sacraments is necessary for salvation, or belief in their efficacy; sacramentarianism.
- n. The belief that the natural world is a reflection or imitation of a perfect supernatural one.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The doctrine and use of sacraments; attachment of excessive importance to sacraments.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The doctrine that there is in the sacraments themselves by Christ's institution a direct spiritual efficacy to confer grace upon the recipient.
Sorry, no etymologies found.