from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The study of ancient symbols;
- n. The study of that branch of historic theology which treats of creeds and confessions of faith;
- n. Symbolism;
- n. also called symbolic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The study of ancient symbols.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The study of the symbols and mysterious rites of antiquity.
- n. That branch of theology which treats of the history and matter of Christian creeds and confessions of faith.
From French symbolique or Latin symbolicus, from Ancient Greek συμβολικός (symbolikos) "of or belonging to a symbol". (Wiktionary)