from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man who is a professional educator or scholar.
- n. A medieval Scholastic scholar or philosopher.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An academician
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One versed in the niceties of academical disputation or of school divinity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A master in one of the medieval universities or other schools; especially, a Christian Peripatetic of the middle ages; a scholastic. See scholasticism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a scholar who is skilled in academic disputation
- n. a scholar in one of the universities of the Middle Ages; versed in scholasticism
Sorry, no etymologies found.