from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person specializing in canon law.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An expert in canon law
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A professor of canon law; one skilled in the knowledge and practice of ecclesiastical law.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One skilled in ecclesiastical or canon law.
- n. One who lays down canons or laws for guidance in the systematic or scientific treatment of a subject.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. pertaining to or characteristic of a body of rules and principles accepted as axiomatic; e.g.
- n. a specialist in canon law
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It seems as if you mean that the canonist is looking for an indicator (even if not a definitive one) of the thing the theologian is concerned with.
Carl - be careful, we need to promote some humility for our favorite canonist.
While others can better describe his work with, say, the Institute for Priestly Formation, Cursillo, or Charismatic Renewal, it's Carlson the canonist who interests me.
And it seems to me that in the example I gave the canonist can have no such thing.
It seems as if you understand the canonist to be looking for a real sign of the same thing the theologian wants to know about.
Note that I'm not a cleric or a canonist; I'm a husband, a father, and an engineer presently on his lunch break.
Because the Power to bind and loose rests with Benedict XVI -- not John Salza, or any of the Society's Bishops and any canonist worth his salt knows this.
A real expert in canon law would not expect to be taken seriously by merely coming onto a blog under a pseudonym and calling himself a canonist.
If indeed he is a canonist, he is not one who is very good at logic.
Maybe I am a canonist and insist that all material be from the brain of the creator or at least approved by them.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.