from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or an instance of subverting.
- n. The condition of being subverted.
- n. Obsolete A cause of overthrow or ruin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the act of subverting or the condition of being subverted
- n. a systematic attempt to overthrow a government by working from within; undermining
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of overturning, or the state of being overturned; entire overthrow; an overthrow from the foundation; utter ruin; destruction
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of subverting or overthrowing, or the state of being overthrown; entire overthrow; utter ruin; destruction.
- n. The cause of overthrow or destruction.
- n. Synonyms Overturning, downfall, demolition. See subvert.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. destroying someone's (or some group's) honesty or loyalty; undermining moral integrity
- n. the act of subverting; as overthrowing or destroying a legally constituted government
Middle English subversioun, from Old French subversion, from Late Latin subversiō, subversiōn-, from Latin subversus, past participle of subvertere, to subvert; see subvert.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French subversion. (Wiktionary)