American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An aggressive entrance into foreign territory; a raid or invasion.
- n. The act of entering another's territory or domain.
- n. The act of entering or running into: homes damaged by the incursion of floodwater.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A running in or into something; an inroad or invasion.
- n. Synonyms Irruption, raid.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A running into; hence, an entering into a territory with hostile intention; a temporary invasion; a predatory or harassing inroad; a raid.
- n. obsolete Attack; occurrence.
- n. an attack that penetrates into enemy territory
- n. the mistake of incurring liability or blame
- n. the act of entering some territory or domain (often in large numbers)
- From Middle English, from Old French, from Latin incursio. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old French, from Latin incursiō, incursiōn-, from incursus, past participle of incurrere, to run upon; see incur. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Moammar Gadhafi's regime over what it called an incursion by Libyan forces, the Foreign Ministry said.”
““Any incursion is likely to be triggered by better-than-usual intelligence about the location and activities of senior jihadist leaders.””
“The truth is that this conflict was not even presented to the American people as a war in the first place but as a short-term incursion, justified by the threat of weapons of mass destruction that did not exist.”
“We hope that this is a short-term incursion so that they Turkey can help deal with the threat.”
“I think that the word incursion, of course, doesn't really apply here.”
“But ignoring that, what they propose to do is not to undo the whole of this system of an internal market but to try to modify it in such ways that it will be protected against further incursion from the private sector but at the same time retain some of the benefits which I talked about earlier.”
“The army assessors produced a realistic report of what the small, under-strength and under-equipped Irish military could accomplish - a brief, limited, short-term incursion across the border.”
“FROST: But one of the principle justifications you gave for the incursion was the supposed existence of the headquarters of the entire communist military operation in South Vietnam, a sort of Bamboo Pentagon, which proved not to exist at all.”
“Rear Adm. Gregory Smith, U.S. military spokesman in Iraq, said the U.S. understands the incursion is a limited operation to target the PKK and said Washington received assurances from Turkey that it would do everything possible to avoid "collateral damage to innocent civilians or Kurdish infrastructure.”
“The Arab League called the incursion "unacceptable," but most Mideast governments kept quiet.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘incursion’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
COLLECT FROM DIFFERENT PAPERS,WEBSITES,BOOKS AND MOVIES.
Words as I learn them.
New words I learn.
Looking for tweets for incursion.