American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act or an instance of infringing; a violation. See Synonyms at breach.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of infracting or breaking; a breakage or fracture.
- n. Breach; violation; infringement: as, an infraction of a treaty, compact, or law.
- n. An incomplete (greenstiek) fracture.
- n. law A minor offence, petty crime
- n. a violation; breach.
- n. ice hockey A major violation of rules which leads to a penalty, if detected by the referee.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of infracting or breaking; breach; violation; nonobservance; infringement.
- n. a crime less serious than a felony
- From Latin infractio, from infractum, past participle of infringere, from in ("in") + frangere ("to break"). (Wiktionary)
“Nations shall have the right to bring to the attention of the Council any infraction, or _any danger of infraction_, of any of these obligations, and that the Council may thereupon take such action and give such direction as it may deem proper and effective in the circumstances. ”
“No other infraction is required for an individual to be detained.”
“My ban ends in 2015, so I guess my infraction is less severe than yours.”
“The recent downgrading by the governor which lowers the penalty from a misdemeanor to an infraction is absolutely a step in the right direction," he said.”
“Neither infraction is protected under free speech or any other constitutional framework.”
“I think he should sue even if he did download the movie – the reaction to such a minor infraction is extreme and an abuse of power.”
“But matching the remedy to the infraction is different than overlooking the infraction entirely; the former is just, the latter is unjust.”
“For example, the mere fact that you had the recorder with you when you committed the traffic infraction is plenty of probable cause to seize it as evidence.”
“One minor infraction is not the same thing a a massive conspiracy.”
“Our countries aren moving toward police states, where the most minor infraction is treated as if you murdered someone.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘infraction’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Don't commit any of these if you can
firearms trafficking, serious and organ..., trafficking in hu..., illegal shipment ..., cybercrime, money laundering, sale of counterfe..., sale of dangerous..., smuggling, infraction, corruption, organised crime and 153 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Legal glossary with special focus on courtroom vocabulary
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
Words as I learn them.
Looking for tweets for infraction.