from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or an instance of infringing; a violation. See Synonyms at breach.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A minor offence, petty crime
- n. a violation; breach
- n. A major violation of rules which leads to a penalty, if detected by the referee.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of infracting or breaking; breach; violation; nonobservance; infringement.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of infracting or breaking; a breakage or fracture.
- n. Breach; violation; infringement: as, an infraction of a treaty, compact, or law.
- n. An incomplete (greenstiek) fracture.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a crime less serious than a felony
From Latin infractio, from infractum, past participle of infringere, from in ("in") + frangere ("to break"). (Wiktionary)