from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of contravening; a violation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of contravening a rule, regulation, or law, or of not fulfilling an obligation, promise, or agreement.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of contravening; opposition; obstruction; transgression; violation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of opposing, antagonizing, or obstructing; counteraction.
- n. The act of transgressing or violating; violation: as, the proceedings of the allies were in contravention of the treaty.
- n. Specifically Violation of a legal condition or obligation by which the contravener is bound: especially applied, in Scots law, to an act done by an heir of entail in opposition to the provisions of the deed, or to acts of molestation or outrage committed by a person in violation of law-burrows.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. coming into conflict with
Sorry, no etymologies found.