from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Destruction of property or obstruction of normal operations, as by civilians or enemy agents in time of war.
- n. Treacherous action to defeat or hinder a cause or an endeavor; deliberate subversion.
- transitive v. To commit sabotage against.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A deliberate action aimed at weakening an enemy through subversion, obstruction, disruption, and/or destruction.
- v. to deliberately destroy or damage something in order to prevent it from being successful
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Scamped work.
- n. Malicious waste or destruction of an employer's property or injury to his interests by workmen during labor troubles.
- n. any surreptitious destruction of property or obstruction of activity by persons not known to be hostile; -- in war, such actions carried out behind enemy lines by agents or local sympathisers of the hostile power.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a deliberate act of destruction or disruption in which equipment is damaged
- v. destroy property or hinder normal operations
The word sabotage is storied to be from the French word for wooden shoe, sabot, to recall how French workers threw their shoes into newfangled machinery to foil the efforts of industrial revolution bosses.
OTTAWA — The Bloc Quebecois filed a police complaint over what it described as sabotage in one of four federal byelections Monday.
AMMAN Reuters - Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said Saturday legislation to lift 48 years of emergency law would be enacted by next week but warned that new laws in the works would not be lenient toward what he called sabotage.
In fact, according to the ghostly murmurings of Mary Alice’s narration, there is a lot more depth to the term sabotage than those pesky Beastie Boys would have us believe.
Preventing last-minute efforts at sabotage is more difficult, structurally, because there are very few processes in government that are immunized from political interference.
The headline asks if sabotage is happening - with no proof (that I can see) to even hint that such a thing has happened and/or that NASA is investigating actual events as suspected sabotage at this attempt.
Nah, self-sabotage is part and parcel with becoming a Democrat.
Note that it would be impossible to distinguish this sabotage from the average COIN presentation.
They say the allegations against him amount to participating in a battle with enemy soldiers, which, in contrast to targeting civilians or sabotage, is not a war crime.
(C) knowingly engages in sabotage or international terrorism, or activities that are in preparation therefor, for or on behalf of a foreign power.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.