from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or practice of offering, giving, or taking a bribe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the making of illegal payment, or bribes, to persons in official positions as a means of influencing their decisions
- n. the activity of giving, offering or accepting bribes
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Robbery; extortion.
- n. The act or practice of giving or taking bribes; the act of influencing the official or political action of another by corrupt inducements.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Theft; robbery; extortion; rapacity.
- n. The act or practice of giving or taking a bribe, or of influencing or being influenced by a bribe or bribes; especially, the act of paying or receiving, or of agreeing to pay or receive, a reward other than legal compensation for the exercise of official or delegated power irrespective of the dictates of duty, or for a false judgment or testimony, or for the performance of that which is known to be illegal or unjust.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the practice of offering something (usually money) in order to gain an illicit advantage
Sorry, no etymologies found.